Saturday, November 19, 2005

Cousin Crow: Goin' South

PEJ News - C. L. Cook - As family, I have to say it: "Cousin, you've got a problem."

www.pej.orgFoghorn Leghorn in Foghorn Leghorn.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foghorn_Leghorn

Cousin Crow: Goin' South

C. L. Cook

PEJ News
Novermber 19, 2005

The black birds come a-perch on the eaves, turning an ear to my Tom Waits tape. Peering, ever cautious, my feathered relatives cock a head and look, in what I swear is an askance attitude, seemingly questioning Ape's sanity.



Likewise, perched on the 49th parallel, I peer at you, your northern cousin America, and wonder at your state of mind.

Tom sings: "We've just got to keep the Devil down in the hole."

Look: I know your skin thin, and don't get me wrong, I'm not being critical unnecessarily, but I think there's something you're missing here. I've been more or less quiet; the Cuba, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Chile, Salvador, Timor, Nicaragua, Grenada, Panama, Haiti, Iraq, Yugoslavia, etc. thing has been a bit much, but now as you lap yourself with Iraq II, I feel something has to be said.

Please, stop.



Chris Cook
is a contributing editor to PEJ.org. He also hosts Gorilla Radio, broad/webcast from CFUV Radio, at the University of Victoria, Canada. Check out the GR Blog here.

No comments: